Audi driving experience and Audi Sport
Participants in the Audi driving experience winter programme can look forward to the ultimate in driving dynamics from January 2019. In the wide range of driving courses on ice, snow and asphalt, customers can experience the sportiest vehicles from Audi Sport GmbH: the Audi RS 4 Avant, the Audi RS 5 Coupé and the Audi R8 Coupé V10 plus. These are three of the most powerful high-performance models that Audi Sport has tested under the most extreme conditions and taken to series maturity. Findings and developments in the world of motorsport can be found in the production models. All three models feature quattro permanent all-wheel drive and share the same sporty DNA.
Originally established in 1983 as quattro GmbH, Audi Sport GmbH is a wholly owned subsidiary of AUDI AG. Its work is based on four business areas: high-performance models, Audi Sport customer racing, customisation with the Audi exclusive programme and the Audi collection. The R and RS models combine maximum prestige with everyday usability and outstanding performance. Entry into the world of Audi Sport begins with the Audi RS 3 Sportback, while the R8 series represents the pinnacle with the fastest models the brand has ever built.
“With the Audi Sport R and RS models, Audi driving experience is offering our customers maximum driving dynamics”, says Michael-Julius Renz, CEO of Audi Sport GmbH. “It’s particularly exciting to experience these powerful cars in the extreme conditions of the winter training events and to recognise the large safety margins.”
Presented in 2017, the Audi RS 4 Avant is the brand’s RS icon. It is the fourth generation of the model series which was launched in 1999. The second edition of the Audi RS 5 Coupé was introduced in 2017 and combines elegant aesthetics with excellent everyday usability. Both models are powered by a biturbo V6 engine. The 2.9 TFSI powerplant produces 331 kW (450 hp) and generates 600 Nm of torque.
Both RS models are provided for the ice training programmes in Scandinavia as well as at Seefeld and Saalbach. “A unique experience is guaranteed not only by the very different engine characteristics, but also by the specially adapted transmission for these models in conjunction with quattro all-wheel drive,” explains Michael-Julius Renz. “A more spontaneous throttle response, significantly more torque and shorter ratios give drivers an even more harmonious driving experience at higher speeds.” The transmission offers a real plus in terms of driving dynamics, especially in manual mode, as it prevents automatic upshifts and downshifts. On the ice course, the models deliver an exceptional action-packed experience.
The dynamic spearhead is the Audi R8 Coupé V10 plus. The second generation of the high-performance race car guarantees breathtaking performance. Its 5.2 litre V10 engine produces 449 kW (610 hp) and propels the car up to 330 km/h. In the winter programme, the top model is at the ready for Audi driving experience customers in Neuburg an der Donau. “In this segment, we are one of the last manufacturers to use a naturally aspirated engine with an evocative sound and high-revving ability”, says Renz. “The drive select programme enables drivers to adjust various components according to their personal requirements. In performance mode, the system finds the optimum symbiosis of traction, handling and track conditions, taking into account dry or wet roads.” Neuburg provides the ideal setting to test this.
The Audi R8 Coupé V10 plus also features quattro permanent all-wheel drive. The seven-speed S tronic dual-clutch transmission transfers the power to the wheels, while an electro-hydraulic multi-plate clutch can distribute torque freely between the axles. This provides the best possible traction at all times. Whichever model the participants experience: driving on snow and ice has never been as exhilarating as in winter 2019.
Fuel consumption*/emissions figures*:
- Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TFSI quattro: Fuel consumption in l/100 km: urban 8,0 – 7,9; extra-urban 5,8 – 5,6; combined 8,8; CO₂ emissions in g/km: combined 150 – 146; Efficiency rating: C – B/EU6
- Audi RS 4 Avant: Fuel consumption in l/100 km: urban 11,5; extra-urban 7,2; combined 6,6 – 6,5; CO₂ emissions in g/km: combined 199; Efficiency rating: E/EU6
- Audi RS 5 Coupé: Fuel consumption in l/100 km: urban 11,5; extra-urban 7,1; combined 8,7; CO₂ emissions in g/km: combined 197; Efficiency rating: E/EU6
- Audi A8 50 TDI quattro: Fuel consumption in l/100 km: urban 6,5 – 6,3; extra-urban 5,5 – 5,1; combined 5,8 – 5,6; CO₂ emissions in g/km: combined 152 – 145; Efficiency rating: A/EU6
- Audi Q8 50 TDI quattro: Fuel consumption in l/100 km: urban 7,0; extra-urban 6,4; combined 6,6; CO₂ emissions in g/km: combined 172; Efficiency rating: B/EU6
- Audi R8 Coupé V10 plus: Fuel consumption in l/100 km: urban 19,6; extra-urban 9,8; combined 13,4; CO₂ emissions in g/km: combined 306; Efficiency rating: G/EU6
- Audi R8 Spyder V10 plus: Fuel consumption in l/100 km: urban 19,8; extra-urban 9,9; combined 13,6; CO₂ emissions in g/km: combined 309 – 290; Efficiency rating: G/EU6